29 July 2007

Chapter 27: Oh oh... again!! [More to say. This time, music!]

[Currently playing: 'Cities in Dust' by Siouxsie and the Banshees.]

Surprisingly, I feel like posting a music blogpost. No, seriously.

When you're someone who's grown up listening to music damn near all your life, chances are, you're bound to find a soundtrack to your life. I seem to have one, but it's a bit, erm, unique actually. And let's be honest here--we all have a soundtrack to our own lives. It's unique, like our DNA or genetic code or whatever it is that makes you, well, you. And each song in your unique life soundtrack can match a moment, a mood, a memory. [And yes, some songs can trigger less-than-wonderful versions of said moment, mood, and/or memory.]

We all have a unique soundtrack to our lives. It's a bit odd, but it's also a bit true, don't you think?

I have a very funny feeling I am going to start a series of blogposts on this theme. Watch. It's gonna happen.

So, here's parts one and two of my life's soundtrack, for starters [they were two of my mixes I made earlier this month too]. Now, you may have heard of these songs, you may not. In any case, it'll show you what the basis of my musical background sounds like.

Part one - Old school, baby!! [80's goth, new wave, and alternative, plus a 90's Britpop lost classic.]

'Situation' - Yazoo
'Love Action [I Believe in Love]' - The Human League
'It's a Sin' - The Pet Shop Boys
'Lovesong' - The Cure
'Enjoy the Silence' - Depeche Mode
'Don't Go' - Yazoo
'Let Me Go' - Heaven 17
'Fade to Grey' [12" version] - Visage
'Love Will Tear Us Apart' [single version] - Joy Division
'Mesh' - New Order
'Bela Lugosi's Dead' - Bauhaus
'Cuts You Up' - Peter Murphy
'Cities in Dust' - Siouxsie and the Banshees
'Every Day Is Halloween' - Ministry
'There Is a Light That Never Goes Out' - The Smiths
'Am I Wrong?' - Love Spit Love [90's Britpop lost classic]

Part two - Time to tear the dance floor up!! [EBM, industrial, techno, and electrodisco. Oh, and a song from a long-gone local band.]

'Teardrop' - Massive Attack
'Home' - Econoline Crush [rememer them??]
'This Is My Rifle' - Combichrist
'Military Fashion Show' - And One
'Marilyn, My Bitterness' [Version 2.0] - The Crüxshadows
'Pray' [radio edit] - Lycia
'Closer' - Nine Inch Nails
'Headhunter' - Front 242 [the godfathers of ebm!]
'Love Is Gonna Save Us' - Benni Benassi
'Satisfaction' [radio version] - Benni Benassi
'Ooh La La' - Goldfrapp
'Boys Wanna Be Her' [Weird Science remix] - Peaches
'Evil Has Never' - Union of Knives
'NWA' - The Terrible Sea [local band i saw once, they broke up late last year]
'Testament' - VNV Nation
'Lights Go Out' - Client

There ya go, some musical food for thought. And if you think these two were a surprising noise and a half, you haven't heard nothing yet!!

In fact, I think I know what part three will be for the next musical blogpost--

90's dance-pop. I'm talkin' 'I'm Too Sexy' by Right Said Fred, 'Mr. Vain' from Culture Beat, and so on.

In the meantime, hunt down some of the songs I've listened to for quite some time now. Especially the songs from part one--they helped shape my life.

And while you're at it, go hunt down some New Order. They're my favorite band.

Until the next round, Cheers!!

~ 'Sunshine'

No comments:

[What goes down in the Underground...]

Mondays start the new workweek. Wednesdays tend to differ, depending on if I need to work or not--usually I'm off, and usually visiting "Uncle" Joseph. Thursdays is the Daughters of the King meeting night. Fridays and Saturdays are normally hectic--never the same drama twice. Sundays = Church day. I update the blog accordingly, with a rant or two, the occasional music post, and sometimes the most random nonsuch.

So stay tuned, because things are fixing to get interesting... and, save your forks--the best is yet to come...

~ me