27 October 2007

Chapter 85: Happy 125th, Saint Barnabas!!

...well, officially the celebration was LAST Sunday, but I finally got all the pictures in this morning. Yeah, all 21 that I took last Sunday morning.

For those who don't know, Saint Barnabas is the Episcopal Church I attend. I'm the resident Baby of the Alto section in the Choir. This year the Parish is celebrating its 125th anniversary, with the Parish School celebrating its 35th anniversary as well.

By the way, it's also a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence!!
Yup, one Nation under God!!

A note about the pictures--I took all the pictures with my camera-phone so, the light might be fairly bright in some of the pictures. That and, I didn't really get to catch a lot of stand-still's so, it's all fairly spur-of-the-moment.

Now, that all said, here are the highlights...

Upon entering, hey!! the Church is packed!! And even StarKnight Ani got into the spirit of dressing up 1880's-ish for the occassion [as the Parishioners were invited to do for this celebration].
...whoa! The building ain't big enough!!
It's Ani!!

Our Church Organ looked nice and lovely for the festivities. And the Choir sounded magnificent! And, I even caught a good shot of the Acolytes and the Assistant Bishop, Hugo Pena-Lopez, who presided over the Service.
The shiny pipes of our Organ.
Procession in waiting.

The Children's Choir kicked off the Service with "Forever", and the Service went very, very well.
The Children's Choir sang 'Forever' very nicely.
Lights are awful bright, building is big enough.  This is gonna be good.

After the Service we had the Procession to the new Family Life Center for the dedication and Proclamation. In front of me, Acolytes. Right behind me, the Choir, Bishop Hugo, the Clergy, and the Congregation. Thankfully I kept my eyes in FRONT of me!!
The Procession beginneth...
Approaching the Building...
Entering the Building...
Inside the Building...

Standing onstage, the Choirs [both Adult and Children's] sorta assembled, and we waited patiently for the rest of the Procession of Congregants and Clergy to arrive.
Here come the Choir!!
Acolytes front and center of the Stage, with the rest of the main Processional arriving.
Choirmaster Peter [left] chatting up a storm with some of our Choir.

After the Congregation arrived and the Processional Party assembled, we had the final festivities before the Lunch! Some "historical figures" gave their account of remembering when Saint Barnabas was founded, which was around the same time as the City of DeLand. Our Mayor Rob Apgar was also present to proclaim Sunday 21 October 2007 as Saint Barnabas Day in DeLand, which was a HUGE thrill to witness.
Some 'historical figures' recall the founding of Saint Barnabas.
...hey!! this Building IS big enough!!
City of DeLand Mayor Rob Apgar reading the Proclamation of Sunday 21 October 2007 as Saint Barnabas Day.  Woohoo!!

Then came the Blessing and Dedication of the Building, and then the Choir led in the Doxology "Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow." Afterwards Father Don led in the Blessing of the Food, and then it was lunchtime!! Now, you have to understand this funny tidbit--when Bishop Hugo's armed with holy water, no one [I repeat, NO ONE] is safe!!
StarKnight Deacon Ane gets a good laugh while Bishop Hugo gets my cassock and cotta with holy water--best laugh of the afternoon!!
...yup, that's my holy water-stained cotta alright!!

After eating lunch with Terry and Steffi, I tagged along with a tour of the new upstairs classrooms in the new Building. There were four new classrooms, one of them being the new Skybox. In each classroom Bishop Hugo blessed the four corners, and he even told us some inspiring stories too.
Bishop Hugo blessing one of the corners in a classroom.
The view from the Skybox.  Niiiiiiice!!

All in all, that was one AMAZING day in Church. I'm glad to have been a part of the festivities, and I can't wait for the next adventure with the Church and my beloved Choir!

^_^

More later but, until the next round, Cheers!!

And Happy 125th, Saint Barnabas!!

~ 'Sunshine'

No comments:

[What goes down in the Underground...]

Mondays start the new workweek. Wednesdays tend to differ, depending on if I need to work or not--usually I'm off, and usually visiting "Uncle" Joseph. Thursdays is the Daughters of the King meeting night. Fridays and Saturdays are normally hectic--never the same drama twice. Sundays = Church day. I update the blog accordingly, with a rant or two, the occasional music post, and sometimes the most random nonsuch.

So stay tuned, because things are fixing to get interesting... and, save your forks--the best is yet to come...

~ me