22 August 2007

Chapter 46: Germany has better noise than their soccer hooligans! [The noise: Kraftwerk.]

[Currently playing: 'Trans-Europe Express' and 'Metal on Metal' by Kraftwerk.]



[the men of kraftwerk, 1977.]


[This is a repost/reworking from the original blogpost on my NOOL blog. This is something a bit more lighthearted than the last Chapter, and if you haven't read that yet then check that before this!! Thanks!!]

Alright, I have a new secret addiction that's not-so-secret, and possibly a bit more fun and slightly more common, really. It's called Kraftwerk, and they've been making some seriously good electro music since the 70's. Quite possibly the best thing from Germany, really. [Okay, second in line is the current bishop of Rome, Pope Benedict XVI. But still!]

Just finished putting together my very first official Kraftwerk StarMix, so I'm giving a bit of the opinions on the track [as there's a good handful of them I've never heard for the first time!], and sharing the noise.



[the cover to the epic masterpiece 'trans-europe express' album.]


Y'all ready? All right then, here goes...

The Model (German version) ~ This is a neat track, though I've already heard the English version of 'The Model', which actually appears later on in this mix.

Aerodynamik (Remix) ~ I love this track. It's easily addictive and could possibly fill a dance floor real quick. Once played this, and everyone was like, 'WTF was that, Jenn!? That was awesome!!' :laugh: This is from my first Kraftwerk StarMix last summer, which had only 6 songs on it at the time.

Trans-Europe Express ~ One of Kraftwerk's great classics, just something about all those synths coming together the way they did. And to think this came out in 1977--they knew damn well what they were doing putting this track together!! And wait a minute, didn't a bit of the song get sampled on 'Planet Rock' by Afrikaa Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force!? That sounded uber-familiar...

Metal on Metal ~ Whoa... the beat has my attention now, folks! Instantly addicted to this. Kind of sounds like metal being clankered around at first, in a sense. If you have no idea what I just meant, you need to listen to this track. It also has that little familiar melody from 'Trans-Europe Express' that was, I'm guessing, sampled on 'Planet Rock'. *Just noted: This song actually goes together with said 'Express'; song between them is 'Azbug', which I don't have, unfortunately.*

The Telephone Call ~ I fell in love with this song before the first minute was over. This is a classic Kraftwerk masterpiece yet a unacknowledged 80's treat. Wonderful stuff from the German quartet. :thumb:

Radioactivity ~ This was my first Kraftwerk song. Very interesting tidbits about the song if you get a listen to the lyrics. [For the lyrics, this would be the proper place, complete with German lyrics and even Morse!!] I loved it. It's still a great bilingual song too.

The Model (English version) ~ This is the English version of 'The Model', which ended up on my first Kraftwerk mix last summer. I didn't notice until last night that there was an English version and a German version. The song's the same. The difference is the language.

Tanzmusik ~ Whoa... where did THIS chipper piece of German noise come from?? Cheeky piano, then the beats, then it all comes together and what do you get? Quite possibly one of the happiest things to come out of these guys.

Pocket Calculator ~ A nice treat from the first Kraftwerk mix. Classic Kraftwerk at its cute/quirkiest.

Computer Love ~ Alright, alright, stop shooting Coldplay for playing off this song already!! And anyway, the original is always better than the copy-off. Most of the time. This is another favorite Kraftwerk tune of mine.

Tour de France ~ I never really gave much care to the original great bike race but, I do like this tune right here from the guys. You could probably watch the race to this music. Just a thought.

Popcorn ~ Whoooooaaaa, hellooooo technopop!! This could be the more upbeat cheekier pop version to 'Telephone'. Hell, I'm even tempted [and it usually doesn't do much to tempt me!] to dance like a complete fool to this! This is my second-favorite Kraftwerk song ever, which only leaves my all-time fave Kraftwerk song right below it...

Metropolis ~ This was and is my all-time favorite Kraftwerk song. Good start-off, bring on the beats and it's on. Pure addictive stuff. And a great way to cap off my official Kraftwerk mix!!

And now, the question I pose to the readers--what Kraftwerk songs do you think should go on the second list [should I plan one, and maybe I should, with fan faves instead of my own?], songs that didn't make the first full official cut here? Leave a comment or e-mail me or something.



[my favorite pic of the group, robot-esque or otherwise!]


Enjoy the noise. Until the next round, Cheers!!

~ 'Sunshine'

No comments:

[What goes down in the Underground...]

Mondays start the new workweek. Wednesdays tend to differ, depending on if I need to work or not--usually I'm off, and usually visiting "Uncle" Joseph. Thursdays is the Daughters of the King meeting night. Fridays and Saturdays are normally hectic--never the same drama twice. Sundays = Church day. I update the blog accordingly, with a rant or two, the occasional music post, and sometimes the most random nonsuch.

So stay tuned, because things are fixing to get interesting... and, save your forks--the best is yet to come...

~ me