13 August 2007

Chapter 37: *deathglare to the first person who calls me in to work tomorrow!* [A nice day in hell... *insert eyeroll*]

[Now playing: 'She's Lost Control' by Joy Division.]

There are days in which your life is all flowers and butterflies, and there are days in which your life is like a very abandoned cemetary.

Today, for the most part, falls under the second catagory, Excelsians.

Things were fine until, early on in the day, around 6:15-ish, Joshua's like, 'What took you so long to get the towel buckets ready?' As usual, I wanted to just shut him up by means of snapping at him with a 'Hush it!'-like remark, but of course I got distracted by an order at the speaker. Talk about saved by the bell!...?

The day progressed, we got slammed, and I had to keep some sort of composure intact. All went alright, I had my break, but I couldn't eat much because some of the songs that the satellite radio station at work played reminded me of the boyfriend. So, I got two muffins and some tears for breakfast. Meh.

Just when we all thought a momentary good cry, some muffins with bagel sauce [yummy!!!], and a round of Computer Solitaire would render me back to alright... WRONG!! I get back from break, and I'm on my own throughout the rest of the day. Faith came in to save my butt at one, but we were still slammed. And it just got worse, of course. My Aunt Margaret wanted to see me and show me her first grandson, but work was slammed, so I ended up missing her visit. I felt worse than horrible after I finally clocked out at two. I was pissed.

So I went to the restroom first thing for another cry.

You know, I guess I'm worse of a sap than I give myself credit for.

Slight good finally emerges when Kaleigh lends me $5 for lunch [as I didn't get my paycheck yet until AFTER I got my lunch!!]. Oddly enough I had a Crew Trainer Meeting at three, so I only had an hour of sanity to myself before the meeting. The meeting itself was good, with Assistant Managers Lowanda and Larry serving as our Junior Manager guides. So, the journey begins for myself officially--Junior Manager Donna's going to help me out on Saturday afternoon with some training, so you might not get a post until maybe later that night--

--OH CRAP!! I'm gonna be at the Punx Picnic festival after training with her!! Worst bit is that I'll miss the first hour AT LEAST because of the training!!

FAC'n hell, just when I thought things were gonna be just fine. Ah well.

Got two c.d.'s today--'compact disc' by PiL [Public Image Ltd] and 'Upstairs at Eric's' by Yazoo [Yaz for those of us Americanos]. I heard a bit of the PiL disc earlier and, by damn it could be one of the best albums I never heard until now!!

I'll probably post a follow-up review tomorrow, as I'm off tomorrow and I can stay up late and dance like nobody's business to the music. Tonight might be fun.

In some more sad news however, I fear I left my glasses at work. Fuck!! *facepalm*

And in even worse news, it seems that, due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, I might not be able to see the boyfriend before he leaves for Scotland next month. Which means, I fear his infamous last words might be right--'see you in January' indeed. Bloody fucking hell.

My usual remedy would have to be to go back to the apartment and cry until the next morning but, I'm not sure I really should do that. I still have to be strong. Hell, the day is damn close to ending, but my heart's grieving badly, and life is nothing short of this--



I guess it's safe to say that, today was definitely a Monday. And for a very long time I've admitted, time and again, the fact that I hated Mondays, and how much I've hated them.

And now, some songs to fit the day, 'cause let's face it. Miss Sunshine just ain't happy today, folks. Funny thing is, some of these songs are not what you'd expect me to hear. Better have an open mind today, Excelsians.

Ryan Adams - 'When the Stars Go Blue' -- This could be, hands down, one of the most surprising treats from Mr. Adams since 'On Your Side' from one of his earlier albums. Good cover.

James Taylor - 'Fire and Rain' -- First time I heard it at work, it didn't get much of my attention. I really have grown to like this song, because some of these lyrics are sooo true.

Bruce Springsteen - 'I'm on Fire' -- Fell in love with the song the first time I heard it. It's just... something different from the Boss. And the only Boss song I like is 'Glory Days'. I kid you not!!

They Might Be Giants - 'Snowball in Hell' -- Let me be straight with you guys here: I love TMBG. They're funny, they make music that makes sense, and they make the kids happy. Life is good, and so is this song.

The Verve - 'Weeping Willow' -- When I first listened to their last album 'Urban Hymns', this was the very first song I found a total favorite in. It's got a shoegaze-goth-esque feel to it. Still love it.

Queen and David Bowie - 'Under Pressure' -- Let's have a laugh: usually I do well 'under pressure'!! *pun intended... or not?* This is my all-time favorite Queen song. ...yes, even more than 'Bohemian Rhapsody'!!

Elton John - 'Tiny Dancer' -- 'Hold up Sunny--ELTON FUCKIN' JOHN!?' To which I respond, yes, Elton effin' John. One of my favorite songs, it grew on me at work. Maybe I'll sing that the next time I go out for Karaoke...?

Susanna and the Magical Orchestra - 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' -- Probably my all-time favorite cover of the great Joy Division classic. It just has this strange lullaby-esque feel to it. Very interesting/unique in its own way.

Siouxsie and the Banshees - 'Cities in Dust' -- Did I tell y'all I love Siouxsie and the Banshees? I guess you can say, this song could put into words how I feel. Heck, I even once dedicated this song to an ex of mine!! No joke!!

808 State - 'Pacific' -- Possibly one of the best songs to just chill to after a day of total, insane stupidity. This song is one of the songs on the blog music player, celebrating the Hacienda Homecoming.

David Bowie - 'Space Oddity' -- One of my top-five all-time favorite Bowie songs. This was, in fact, my very first Bowie song. I absolutely love the strange, spacey feel of the song, and I sing along to it every time it's playing.

The Durutti Column - 'Sketch for Summer' -- Another great chill song, probably just as good as 808 State's 'Pacific'. Their song 'Otis' is on the Hacienda Homecoming blog music player. They're... they're just so cool, y'know?

Public Image Ltd [PiL] - 'Rise' -- I actually loved the song, never knew who did it though. Found out it was PiL. And was stunned to know that Johnny Lydon was in it. Yeah, that Johnny Rotten guy from the Sex Pistols! Excellent song.

The Bangles - 'Manic Monday' -- Now come on, you HAVE to have this song for a Monday. I'd put New Order's 'Blue Monday' on this mix, but let's face it. I'm glum, not quite in the mood for dancing. But this song's a pick-me-up though!

And there you have it--the essential Excelsios Monday StarMix. Enjoy!!

Until the next round, Cheers. Mike, don't work too hard--crush!!

~ 'Sunshine'

No comments:

[What goes down in the Underground...]

Mondays start the new workweek. Wednesdays tend to differ, depending on if I need to work or not--usually I'm off, and usually visiting "Uncle" Joseph. Thursdays is the Daughters of the King meeting night. Fridays and Saturdays are normally hectic--never the same drama twice. Sundays = Church day. I update the blog accordingly, with a rant or two, the occasional music post, and sometimes the most random nonsuch.

So stay tuned, because things are fixing to get interesting... and, save your forks--the best is yet to come...

~ me