17 October 2008

Chapter 182 ~ Wow. Just, wow.

For one, it's been a very long week and I really had been behind on some things. Currently one of my friends brought her laptop over, so I'm taking a minor break from Carillon practice to update this. And considering I haven't been able to get much done because of the circumstances of this week, I think it's proper timing to have myself a minor dose of chill. But first, some issues to address and get over with.

First and foremost, this week at work: OH. MY. GOD. Where did it come from, and how did I get all caught up in the ruins? No, don't even consider thinking as to what to answer me with. Just, don't.

Second, I now somewhat have a new schedule of things, at least as of this month anyway. Take notes at your own peril!, is my only choice of words for this.
Monday ~ Work in the morning to early afternoon. Other errands if necessary. Pay day every two weeks.
Tuesday ~ Work. Other errands if necessary.
Wednesday ~ Work. Practicing with the Carillon in the afternoon, potluck dinner/fellowship @ 5:30 P.M., Discipleship classes 6:15 to 7:15-7:30-ish.
Thursday ~ Work. Music day in the Underground.
Friday ~ Work. Practicing with the Carillon in the afternoon.
Saturday ~ Work. Other errands if necessary.
Sunday ~ [rarely work.] Wake up @ 7:45 A.M., shower/get dressed, be in Choir room for practice @ 9 [practice 9-10:30], drop off choral music play the Carillon after Choir practice for about 15-20 minutes, get to the Service just minutes before 11; post-Recessional Hymn [final hymn of the service] literally RUN to the Carillon to play another 15-20 minutes. Lunch at Quizno's. Nap time. In some occasions, family dinner at the Parents'.
That's usually the scheme of things these days. No, I don't work 6 days a week but, my days off change faster than a switch of hands in a round of Crazy UNO. As you may already know I'm on Carillon duty for the month, so that's just how things are going to be, probably for another two weeks. Maybe. All Saints' Weekend is in two weeks and, that Sunday is 2 November, All Souls Day [though we'll be celebrating All Saints, usually 1 November, that Sunday], so I may have to ask Mrs. Hays if she'll need me to play that particular Sunday as well. I already have a bit of an idea as to what Hymns to play for that Sunday.

Third, I know there'd been some people I probably ticked off in some form or another this week, so for that I'd like to post a proper and public apology. I didn't mean to offend you in any way I may have, whether by a loss of temper or a minor snarkitude or a problematic misunderstanding. About high time I really called myself out on that.

*whew* Alright! That said, it's time for what should've been done yesterday if not for absolute exhaustion and two break-downs [one during the last 10 minutes of my break at work and the other when, having argued unnecessarily with Roboter, I cried myself to sleep--don't worry, we've reconciled!!]...

This week's Starian Union Radio spotlight is on the likes of New Order's Stephen Morris and his wife Gillian Gilbert, also known by die-hard NO fans as The Other Two.



No, Ninth Doctor, I'm not. ^_^

So the Random 20 is actually going to be a Top 10 this week, with a few Honorable Mentions as well. Now considering they'd only released two albums [The Other Two & You in 1993 and Superhighways in 1999] and that's all I have to work with, and as I'm not quite fond of EVERY track they've released as TO2, I hope that this countdown does some proper justice. And this time I'm adding the commentary AND the music so you can understand my whimsey.

On that note...
The Starian Union Radio Top 10 for yesterday, Thursday 16 October 2008
Theme ~ Top 10 The Other Two tracks

The first time I heard this tune, something kinda tugged at my heartstrings. This is the only TO2 track that ever made me cry. I think it's because of the lyrics, particularly to the chorus. Gillian, vocal-wise, soars proper in this tune. And in my opinion it's infectious enough that it's my all-time fave TO2 tune.
1] "Super Highways" [from Superhighways]


A proper love song? If you but just listen to the lyrics, all of it. Just wonderful. No wonder I love this song so damn much!
2] "New Horizons" [from Superhighways]


The song that kinda started it all for TO2, really. And it was also the first song I'd heard from them. It almost kinda holds a proper, special place in my heart. And it's currently playing as I'm typing up at the moment!
3] "Tasty Fish" [from The Other Two & You]


Was listening to this earlier this morning, full blast. Between the song itself, the lyrics, and the chilly air [6o-someodd-F anyone?], it kinda gave me a lift and helped fight the tears in the eyes. Particularly the chorus:
Get out of bed, feel the world in your head,
The new day has come and you keep moving on.
Hold on to your heartbeat,
Move out of the backseat.

Fantastic, really. Truly fantastic.
4] "Hello" [from Superhighways]


Adrenaline rush to work via an instrumental tune? Uhm, hell yeah. That's all I can say about this rack, really.
5] "Ninth Configuration" [from The Other Two & You]


The video for this song is just... well... Awwies-worthy in my opinion. Seriously. Go YouTube it. And it's actually one of my fave tracks of the album it comes from.
6] "Selfish" [from The Other Two & You]


Melanie from Sub-Sub provided the guest vocals on two tracks on Superhighways, and between the two tracks this is my favorite. I was listening to that song yesterday morning, felt almost like I could really soar. I didn't think that high would crash as the day progressed though. In any case, this is a rather powerful song.
7] "You Can Fly" *vocals by Melanie of Sub-Sub* [from Superhighways]


Quaint little story as only Gillian and Steve, through lyrics and music, can only weave, sew and seam together.
8] "Cold Feet" [from Superhighways]


I can't really put my finger on it but there's something very, very gorgeous about this track. Between the melodies and Gillian's vocals. I don't know. It's just... well... lush. For a lack of better words.
9] "The River" [from Superhighways]


Everytime I play this song, I'm almost always singing along to the catchy little chorus. It really is a great tune.
10] "The Greatest Thing" [from The Other Two & You]


For a few Honorable Mentions, I'll start with this fun track, which includes audio snippets from the Factory Records documentary Play At Home which, I seriously recommend you go YouTube as soon as you can. One helluva fun documentary.
"Loved It [The Other Track]" [from The Other Two & You]


Okay, fair warning--you might find yourself singing along somehow.
"Innocence" [from The Other Two & You]


That done, one thing more to post today before resuming Carillon practice: A couple of YouTubes featuring one of the most lovable robots ever: K9!














And on that note... God I gotta get back to practice...

Until the next round...

~ me

No comments:

[What goes down in the Underground...]

Mondays start the new workweek. Wednesdays tend to differ, depending on if I need to work or not--usually I'm off, and usually visiting "Uncle" Joseph. Thursdays is the Daughters of the King meeting night. Fridays and Saturdays are normally hectic--never the same drama twice. Sundays = Church day. I update the blog accordingly, with a rant or two, the occasional music post, and sometimes the most random nonsuch.

So stay tuned, because things are fixing to get interesting... and, save your forks--the best is yet to come...

~ me