05 August 2008

Chapter 165 ~ Year 5, Day 366: The Eve

So tomorrow it'll be five years to the day, 8 A.M. being the hour, that I started working at McDonald's. I really can't imagine that it's been 5 years since I was just a naive, shy, awful quiet yet talkative Lobby girl. And I'd never guess that five years later I'd be a Crew Trainer and the resident Drive-thru Heroine of the four stores in this town. And to be honest, it's been an insane 5 years being the brilliant Miss Sunshine of North DeLand. A lot has happened.

Particularly within my second year in which I almost lost my battle with depression.

Today one of my regulars stopped by my drive-thru and, looking at my hat and tie, asked me if I still collected pins [a good tradition started within those brill five years]. After I gave the affirmative she gave me what has now become a new, special momento for me of the inner battles I had to overcome those five years to be where I am today. And it holds such specialty that I had it fixed on a safety pin [it's a punk thing] on my workshirt, right over my heart.

Turns out, that customer is a mental-health counsellor. And that pin shows her--and my--worthy cause:
Fighting for better mental health

I have officially codenamed this pin my 5th-Anniversary of Joy pin, for the pain I had to face and fight to bring the joy to others, as well as a reminder of the joy they bring in return when I need it the most. In times of darkest despair.

Which, speaking of, a fellow David Tennant forum poster, Nichola, is facing a slight bout with depression herself. And I'm wearing this pin especially for her right now, and keeping her in my thoughts and prayers.

Ah well. Tomorrow is my 5th Anniversary of being Sunshine. I think some New Order, Kraftwerk, and indie-rock are in order for the soundtrack to what promises to be a very interesting day tomorrow...

Onward to what the next 5 years will bring...


~ me

No comments:

[What goes down in the Underground...]

Mondays start the new workweek. Wednesdays tend to differ, depending on if I need to work or not--usually I'm off, and usually visiting "Uncle" Joseph. Thursdays is the Daughters of the King meeting night. Fridays and Saturdays are normally hectic--never the same drama twice. Sundays = Church day. I update the blog accordingly, with a rant or two, the occasional music post, and sometimes the most random nonsuch.

So stay tuned, because things are fixing to get interesting... and, save your forks--the best is yet to come...

~ me