04 December 2008

The Sunday Tradition!

Yes, it's Thursday, and it's the Thursday Tradition here in the Underground. Today the spotlight's on one of my particular favorite bands, like, ever. PLUS, some more Doctor WHO goodies, just in time for the holidays!

As I promised, it's the Sundays up in the Underground tonight. And it's my Top 10 favorite Sundays tunage of all time. I chose between the two brilliant albums Reading, Writing & Arithmetic and Blind as third and last album Static and Silence [from 1997] wasn't up-to-par. And I have a very proper Honourable Mention to note as well. So, that said...

1] I remember falling in love with this song the first time I heard it. There are times nowadays that I'll fall into a glum and this will be the song I put on. The lyrics in the chorus are just so true sometimes. Really.
~ "Love" [from Blind]


2] I actually hear this song every now and then at work. Who knew!?
~ "My Finest Hour" [from Reading, Writing & Arithmetic]


3] This is the tune that the Sundays are, if anything, well-known for. Whether everyone knew who the Sundays knew or not. My parents heard about a minute of it on the radio while we were heading to South Carolina, and then they changed it. I got kinda mad but got over it and listened to my Sundays mix all Thanksgiving long.
~ "Here's Where The Story Ends" [from Reading, Writing & Arithmetic]


4] There's something about this song. I've lost count as to how many times I've fallen asleep to this song on repeat!
~ "24 Hours" [from Blind]


5] Probably the catchiest beat I've heard from 'em. I just... I don't know... bop my head along...
~ "A Certain Someone" [from Reading, Writing & Arithmetic]


6] Chances are, I've sung along to the first two lines of the song so many times. I never really tire of it. Nice tune.
~ "Goodbye" [from Blind]


7] And this is one of the reasons why as a whole I adore the album it's from.
~ "Blood On My Hands" [from Blind]


8] Between this song and "Medicine", I'll take this song any day. And anyway, I love to sing along to this song like it's nobody's business. [Never mind the fact that I've listened to the album so many times more than RW+A...]
~ "More" [from Blind]


9] A proper tune that ended the album it's from. All in all a classic on its own.
~ "Joy" [from Reading, Writing & Arithmetic]


10] This tune can classify itself as almost--ALMOST--punky. Don't ask me as to how or why I even considered it. Maybe it's the beat. Not sure.
~ "Hideous Towns" [from Reading, Writing & Arithmetic]


Honourable Mention] To be honest with you this is my favorite cover song of all time. The original was done by the Rolling Stones and, while I really love the original version, nothing really touches this cover. Nothing.
~ "Wild Horses" [from Blind]


Well there you have it! My take on the spotlighted group, the Sundays! Hopefully y'all kinda learned something new or another in your musical education. :-)

And now, some Whovian musical treats! To start, a song that got SNV airplay last month, just in time for the 45th anniversary of the show...
"Doctorin' the TARDIS" - KLF [The Timelords]


Two, my Christmas Song of the Year. Just heard it for the first time earlier today. Still hearing it. I think it's been replaying about 10 times now... anywho, it's dedicated to my beloved fellow Whovian...
"I'm Gonna Spend My Christmas With A Dalek" - The Go-Go's


Oh and, one more thing. My favorite titles video on my favorite rendition of the theme...


One final note--today it was agreed between store manager Joel [it was his idea] and I that I will be working TOMORROW from 5 A.M. to 1 P.M., and Saturday I'll be from 5 A.M. to 6, for one hour. As soon as the 6 o'clockers arrive I'll be dismissed for the day so I can rest up some more and be better ready for both a funeral AND a Christmas Parade later on that night. Turns out Manager Carlina [who did the schedule to begin with!] forgot about Saturday's parade at the time she was putting the Schedule together. But in any case all is well. And today was probably the best day of the week, though some of the crew were clueless as to why I said earlier this afternoon "I'll see y'all tomorrow!"

And on that note, until the next round...

No comments:

[What goes down in the Underground...]

Mondays start the new workweek. Wednesdays tend to differ, depending on if I need to work or not--usually I'm off, and usually visiting "Uncle" Joseph. Thursdays is the Daughters of the King meeting night. Fridays and Saturdays are normally hectic--never the same drama twice. Sundays = Church day. I update the blog accordingly, with a rant or two, the occasional music post, and sometimes the most random nonsuch.

So stay tuned, because things are fixing to get interesting... and, save your forks--the best is yet to come...

~ me