08 November 2007

Chapter 92: Work. Is. HELL.

No, seriously, if there was to be the epitome of hell, my job yesterday had to be it.



5:00 A.M. I'm actually EARLY arriving at work [the system clock at work is five minutes slow, I kid you not]. Listening to an 80's mix that's got Kraftwerk and whatnot. All seems well, right? Right.

I walk in, clock in, go to back Drive-Thru to get my headset on and... what the f-ck happened to my back Drive-Thru!? Two piles of trays almost two feet in height. The headsets in a mess. The Printer can't print for sh-t.

Okay, I just got in, already I want to go home.

I'm trying to get my headset on, sort out the mess. Just before I do, customer is at my window, I take his order because at this point I'm in a pissed-off mood, he's in the mood to be funny. I'm not in the mood for it. Next customer follows, asks if the speaker isn't on. Now as he's one of my regulars, I just take his order and refuse to say much to him because, let's face it. He's always asking how I'm doing [which I always answer the same thing--"I don't know"], and he KNOWS he's going to get the same answer. This time, I just take his order and say nothing. The look on my face probably says it all.

So I finally get a headset on. First earpiece does NOT work. I try the second one--doesn't work either. W.T.F.!?

Third time's a charm, they say. In this case with the earpieces, it's got a point.

Back to morning chores, get ketchup pumps ready [thanks to Tabbi for her help on that--w00t!! XOXOXO] Take on 5 towel buckets--done. Alright. Time for iced coffee!

...nope. Not yet. Have to deal with customers. Not that I don't mind, but I'm not my chipper self without a dose of iced coffee, dangit!!

Finally, 6:30 A.M. and I've got my coffee. And then we're slammed, I'm trying to fight the damn Printer and get all of last night's Reports printed out for Managers JoAnne and Joel. After a good fight with the Printer, all of last night's Reports were printed successfully, but the Printer still acted very stupendously useless.

Boy, was I livid.

Breakfast rush, and I'm pacing myself miserably trying to get cars through. Battery on the headset dies, I quickly change it. Five minutes later THAT one dies. I change batteries again. Joel's worried about me, and I don't blame him. Already, it's only 7:30 and the bad feeling I've had that the day was going to suck was more than right. [Badass intuition, hell yeah!!]

8:15 A.M. and, hallelujah!! it's Break time!! But... as I'm carrying trays, PANIC BUTTON!!

Joel's trying to hold JoAnne up, who's about to fall over. Michelle grabbed a chair from the Crew Room and ran to help get JoAnne seated. Which meant Joel had to help JoAnne and I had to run for Drive-Thru. Erica helped me out a lot, but I was panicking like nobody's business. Joel came back after getting JoAnne in the Managers Office, Maintenance man Ross called 911, and I finally got on break.

After breaktime I returned with some sense of a renewed spirit, only to have that spirit dashed as I tried to finish both stacks of trays. Michelle lent me a huge helping hand and, with Joel as I diligently took on back Drive-Thru, the area looked so much neater. w00t!!

After the delemma subsided, on came Changeover and, on a Wednesday, Changeover is HELL. Early Release Day for High schoolers. Not. Fun.

11:15 A.M. and Kat's sent me a text about Tabbi sending word that Manager Lowanda got fired by Store Owner Gary.

Quoting both Kat and my reactions--

Wait--WHAT!?

Time dragged on miserably, Michelle got her break. After her return she helped me out greatly for Lunch Rush, but that was dashed quickly as Myshel retreated to the Crew Room. Michelle and I are worried for Myshel, as she's sweating, face is red. She's overheated again. She marches back up front after a moment of rest. And Michelle and I hit the panic button.

Except, I've been hitting the panic button all. Damn. Day.

12:15 P.M. and, I end up on my own for the rest of Lunch Rush--Michelle's called up to help Front Counter. Myshel's in the Managers Office having passed out!!

Great. As if my day couldn't get any worse.

Meanwhile the line's not moving, I'm trying to count the skim for my drawer, and Joel thought I was done and put that in the safe. Okay, panic button, please.

Finally, 1:00 P.M. and Melanie's here. She's wondering what went on. I try to explain, but she's in a good mood. And unfortunately, she doesn't understand half the hell I went through. So, I hope she reads this just so she understands what's happened yesterday. Just so she doesn't laugh at what a long day I've had.

A stack of trays two feet high. And I diligently--and, at this point, in tears--clean up as much as I can before Supervisor Chris realizes the hell I've just experienced today. He sends me home for the afternoon, but not before I had my lunch.

After I got home, I cried some more. And I stayed in just in case I got called in for today [which, surprisingly, I didn't].



Thankfully today's my day off. But given yesterday's situation, if I were to be in today, I think I would've just hanged myself, end of.

~ 'Sunshine'

P.S. That also means that, Larry got fired a few weeks ago because of his attitude by Joel. Lowanda obviously did something enough to piss all of us off 'cause she got fired by Gary yesterday.

Which means the Crew Trainers are stuck without a leader.

All the more reason I say, I'll be lucky the day I finally get my brown Junior Manager's shirt. But the way this is going, I'm not holding my breath on that.

At the moment as far as Management goes...
Joel [Store Manager]
JoAnne [Opening Manager]
Joshua [Swing Manager]
Donna [Swing Manager]
Karen [Junior Manager--Production--got her brown shirt]
Nakasha [Junior Manager--Production--got her brown shirt]
Trevawn [Junior Manager--Production--waiting for his brown shirt]
Sunshine *me* [Junior Manager--Service--waiting for my brown shirt]

...man, this sucks. FUNK DAT!!

No comments:

[What goes down in the Underground...]

Mondays start the new workweek. Wednesdays tend to differ, depending on if I need to work or not--usually I'm off, and usually visiting "Uncle" Joseph. Thursdays is the Daughters of the King meeting night. Fridays and Saturdays are normally hectic--never the same drama twice. Sundays = Church day. I update the blog accordingly, with a rant or two, the occasional music post, and sometimes the most random nonsuch.

So stay tuned, because things are fixing to get interesting... and, save your forks--the best is yet to come...

~ me